In 2005 Russia issued three stamps picturing lighthouses on the
Barents Sea, an arm of the Arctic Ocean at the northwestern corner of
the Asian continent.
The low value commemorates Mudyugsky, the traditional
landfall light for Arkangelsk. It is the oldest lighthouse in Russia,
dating from 1838. It is located at the eastern entrance to the Dvina
delta on the island of Mudyugsky. The tower is 131 feet in height.
The middle value pictures an Orthodox Church
associated with the Solovetsky Monastery which was founded in the 1480
with a light mounted on the top of its onion dome in 1863. The church
is at the top of Mt. Sekirnaya on the northwestern corner of
Solovetsky Island. It is 322 feet high.
The high value of the set shows the
Svyatonossky Island light. It is 308 feet high and is located on an
promontory that projects into the White Sea at Svyatoy Nos about 40
miles west of the entrance to the White Sea.