The Peresopnytsia Gospel
dates from the 16th century, and is one of the most beautiful
surviving East Slavic manuscripts. It was compiled in 1556 at the
Peresopnytsia monastery in the Ukraine. The manuscript is inscribed in
Glagolitic characters. The Glagolitic alphabet was invented by Saints
Cyril and Methodius in the 9th century to translate the Bible and
other religious works into old Church Slavonic, the language of the
Bulgarians and Serbs, and the liturgical language of the Russian
Orthodox Church. Although it is not in daily use it was used for
religious purposes until the late 19th century in Croatia.
Two Ukrainian Presidents, Leonid Kravchak in 1991 and
Leonid Kuchma in 1994 took the oath of office on the Gospel. The stamp
was issued in 2000, and shows a miniature of a monk inscribing a
manuscript, possibly the Peresopnytsia Gospel itself.