In 1890 Count George Leo
Caprivi de Caprera de Montecuccoli, a German soldier and statesman
negotiated an boundary treaty with Great Britain which provided for a
corridor from the northeastern corner of South West Africa to the
junction of the Chobe and Zambezi Rivers. The purpose for this unusual
boundary adjustment was to provide a commercial outlet for German
trade in minerals. By granting the adjustment the British were able to
block German efforts to acquire a link between South West Africa and
her east coast colonies. The strip is 20 miles wide between the
Okavango and Cuando rivers. At its widest point, along the Cuando
River, it is about 60 miles wide. Its length is about 280 miles.
stamp was issued in 1986 by South West Africa which had not yet
relinquished control over the land.