The first landscape park
in Germany was created in the 1770's in the village of Worlitz 15 km
east of Dessau. It was inspired by Prince Leopold
III Friedrich Franz von Anhalt-Dessau’s (1740-1817) visits to
English garden parks.
Tiefurt Park is around the
Tiefurt castle in Weimar. Sculptures and a sundial are features of the
In 1814 Prince Karl August von Hardenberg became
lord of the Quilitz. In 1821 the park was redesigned and expanded. The
plans for the park developed by the garden architect Peter Joseph
Lenné were influenced by Prince Hermann von Pückler-Muskau, a
son-in-law of Hardenberg's who began the Branitz Park in 1811.
Branitz was founded in
1696 on the land of the counts of Pückler. Prince Hermann von
Pückler-Muskau (1785-1871) began work on the park in 1811. It was
completed by his successor, Count Heinrich von Pückler (1835-97). It
is a landscape park of international importance. In the center of the
park is the Castle built in 1770-1772, which accomodates the
Fürst-Pückler museum with historical buildings and an exhibition of
the life and work of the Prince.
Treptow Park, Berlin
Treptow Park is in what
was formerly East Berlin. It was begun in 1876, the work of Johann
Gustav Meyer. At the Archenhold observatory (1909) Albert Einstein
gave his first lecure on the theory of relativity in 1915.
The Wiesenburg Park was
developed in 1863-1881 in the English landscape park style.