The Pharos (Lighthouse) of Alexandria
The first lighthouse was
built in 270 b.c. on the island of Pharos in the harbor of Alexandria,
Egypt. It was destroyed by an earthquake in the 14th century A.D.
The first Ruhnu Lighthouse was
built in 1646. The present skeleton-style tower was built in 1844. Its
height is 131 meters. It is located at 57°48’N 23°16’E
The lighthouse was built in Kunda
harbor. It was an almost exact copy of the previous wooden lighthouse
first built in 1896. Today the lighthouse is no longer used for
navigation. It is located at 59°31’N 26°32’E.
The lighthouse was
built in 1809 on the island of Vilsandi, at 58°22’N 21°48’E. In 1860
Fresnel dioptric glass prisms were installed.