New York ~ 1664
Amsterdam was established in 1624 as part of the Dutch West India
Company’s effort to establish the colony of New Netherlands. In 1664 a
British fleet entered the harbor of New Amsterdam, and the Dutch
governor, Peter Stuyvesant, surrendered the colony to the British.
They renamed the colony New York after the Duke of York.
In 1688 New York and New Jersey joined the New England
Colonies in the Dominion of New England under Sir Edmund Andros who
had previously been lieutenant-governor of Guernsey.
The map, A description of the towne of Mannados or
New Amsterdam as it was in September 1661, was drawn by William
Hack, an English chart maker. It was an English copy of a map made for
the Dutch by Jacques Cortelyou before the town surrendered to the
The map was known as the “Duke's” map, a
reference to the Duke of York, after whom the town was named. It
probably accompanied the town's request to the Duke of York (later
King James II) to become its patron. The
hand-colored map is dated 1664. On the left side of the map, the
vertical boundary is “Wall” street, a defensive palisade built by the
Dutch in 1635. The canal on Broad Street can also be seen.
Major Land Purchases
Two stamps issued by
Seychelles in 1976 commemorate two major land purchases by the United
States, the Louisiana Purchase by Thomas Jefferson, and the purchase
of Alaska by William H. Seward. The Louisiana Purchases has generated
several United States stamps and is dealt with in the section on
United States Map Stamps.
William Henry Seward
(1801-1872) was Secretary of State under Abraham Lincoln and Andrew
Johnson. In the latter capacity he negotiated the purchase of Alaska
from Russia for $7 million 200 thousand. It was not until gold was
discovered in Alaska in 1890 that the territory overcame the
reputation of "Seward's Folly." Alaska became a State of the United
States in 1959.