Viking fortresses have been excavated in Denmark. Trelleborg was excavated between
1934 and 1942 on the Danish island of Sjælland. It was built in the
a.d. during the
reign of king Harold Blåtand (Bluetooth). Within a circular earthwork
are 16 large longhouses set in groups of four in which the people
lived and worked. The longhouses are somewhat in the shape of a dragon
ship. It is estimated that approximately 300 people lived at
Trelleborg. The stamp shows a modern plan of the fortress with
longhouses, both inside and outside the earthwork circle.
The stamp is one of an issue of 10 stamps to mark the
1000th anniversary of the Danish kingdom. This stamp was intended to
mark the period from 1000-1100.
In 1983 Denmark issued a
stamp which showed a picture of Troldkirken, a pre-Christian shrine
near Limford. The location of Troldkirken is indicted on the map by a
"+" at the upper end of the Denmark peninsula.
Egeskov Castle ~ 1553
Egeskov Castle was built
by the Lord High Constable Frands Brockenhuus in the middle of a lake
in Denmark. Several thousand oak pilings were driven into the lake bed
to support the castle, and its name Egeskov, literally “oak forest,”
reflects that the large quantity of trees that were used.
The castle has a double wall so thick that it holds
staircases and a well to provide a water supply during a siege. The
outer walls have machiculations, holes in the parapets through which
stones, weapons or scalding water or oil could be thrown, and
embrasures from which to attack the enemy’s flanks. Though the castle
was built for defensive purposes there is no information that suggests
that it was ever under siege.
The location of the castle is marked with an X on the
island of Fyn, in the middle of the map on the stamp.