The Benedictine Abbey of
Echternach was founded in 698 by St. Willibrord. The Abbey was noted
for its scriptorium which produced exceptional illuminated
manuscripts. During the French Revolution the Abbey was closed and its
manuscripts were confiscated and sold and scattered. The Codex Aureus
Epternacensis, created around 1040, is a Gospel written with gold
letters and richly illuminated. It is preserved in the German National
Museum in Nuremberg.
The souvenir sheet
below shows the ivory Christ on the Cross sculpture which forms the
central part of the superb cover of the "Codex Aureus Epternacensis".
It was created for the Echternach Abbey in the workshops of Archbishop
Egbert of Trier, between 983 and 991.