The Hague was founded in 1248 by Count
William II of Holland. "Des Graven Hage" literally means "the count's
hedge," or metaphorically "the count's private enclosure." As a
neutral town it became the administrative center for the cities of
Holland. The French designated it as a city in 1806.
In 1988 a set of three stamps was issued which
had a map of a portion of the town of 's-Gravenhage as a part of the
design. The date of the map was given as 1270 which is an error. The
proper date is 1570.
The map is based on a lithographic copy from
1916-23 issue by Martinus Nihjoff of Jacob Van
Deventer's map of about 1560. Thanks to Mark Honig for this