In 1817, during the
presidency of James Monroe, the U.S. Congress granted a charter to the
American Colonization Society to repatriate slave back to Africa from
America. The United States purchased land in Africa which became
Liberia. In 1822 the first group arrived and by 1838 the
Commonwealth of Liberia was established. Before 1860 more than 11,000
free Africans were transported to Liberia. The capital, Monrovia, was
named for him.
Jehudi Ashmun (1794-1828) was an agent of the African
Colonization Society which promoted the settlement of former slaves at
Monrovia, Liberia. He built up the colony, but was recalled when the
colonists complained of his authoritarian rule.
The stamps were issued in1950. The low value shows
Monroe and Ashmun and a map of Monrovia, while the high value shows
Ashmun and William Tubman, president of Liberia from 1944 to 1971 and
a view of the coastline of Liberia.
To commemorate the 100th
anniversary of the founding of the Commonwealth of Liberia, a home
for feed slaves who wished to return to Africa, a set of three stamps
was issued in 1940. The design on the stamp below shows Coast Line of
Liberia as it was in 1839. The names of four towns mark settlements on
the coast: left to right, Monrovia, Marshall, Bassa Cove and Sino.