In 1667 Willem Mogge was
sent to Suriname to make a "pertinent and accurate map of the whole of
Suriname." The map Caerte ofte vertooninge vande Rivieren van
Suriname (Map of the Rivers of Suriname), was published in 1671.
It showed the names of the owners of the sugar plantations.
The British controlled the colony until 1667 when they
surrendered it to the Dutch. During the British administration the
capital was Tararica, a township on the left bank of the river.
Mogge's map shows a settlement called Paramaribo near Fort Zeelandia
as the last settlements on the right bank of the Suriname river (lower
right on the stamp).