Lingao lighthouse was built in 1894 in the
northwest end of Hainan island (20°0ŽN 109°43ŽE. A legend associated
with the lighthouse speaks of a divinity directing ships in ancient
times. The lighthouse was very important, marking the route from
Qiongzhou Strait to North Ban and Southeast Asia. It is the only
beacon of the five made of steel.
These five Chinese lighthouses were elected
Historical Lighthouses of the World by the International Association
of Maritime Airs to Navigation and Lighthouse Authorities in 1997.