South Georgia issued a map stamp in 1963 showing the islands of South
Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands. Both South Georgia and the
southern eight islands of the Sandwich Islands Group were discovered
by Captain James Cook in 1775. The northern three islands of the
Sandwich Islands Group were discovered in 1819 by Fabian Gottlieb von
In 1778 Cook discovered the Hawaiian Islands and named
them the Sandwich Islands also. So, to distinguish between the
two "Sandwich Islands," the word "South" was added to the first group
to distinguish it from the later group.
The South Sandwich Islands are between 350 and 500
miles South of South Georgia. If the island of South Georgia is 106
miles long it appears to be only a little more than that distant from
the South Sandwich Islands.