Up Catalog

     The artificial island of Dejima in the Harbor of Nagasaki was built with funds from twenty-five wealthy traders (1634-1636), and the Tokugawa shogunate transferred all Portuguese living in Japan to the island. They were the only westerners who were permitted to trade with Japan, and they were allowed to live and work only on the island. The stamp issued in 1999 shows the island as it existed between 1636 and 1859 when the Dutch East India Company factory closed. The flag which flies over the island is the flag of the Netherlands. By 1904 the island had completely disappeared.

SCN Z350

Back Next