Sir Edwin Sandys was an
early settler in Bermuda. One of the Parishes is named for him,
Sandys. The name is properly pronounced “Sands.” In 1953 two stamps
with a map of Bermuda were issued in a set of 17 stamps (SCN 148,
156). On those maps Sandys Parish is mispelled “Sandy’s.” Barbara
McTaggart has pointed out that it was also misspelled on the official
map of Bermuda of 1948.
versions with the proper spelling “Sandys” were issued in 1957 (149,
Sandys Parish is on the west end of the island.