The Archipelago of San Andres y
Providencia was discovered in 1629 by English Puritans. For 200 years
the English, Dutch, French, and Spanish advanced rival claims to the
islands. In 1793 the English recognized Spanish sovereignty in the
Treat of Versailles. However, even today English is spoken on the
islands. In 1822 the islands joined the Gran Colombia.
The Archipelago of San Andres and Providencia
include the islands of San Andres, Providencia, Cape Quita Sueño, Cape
Rocador, the Banks of Serrana and Serramilla, and Bajo Novo. They are
also claimed by Nicaragua. Additionally the Bank of Serranilla has
been claimed claimed by Honduras and the United States. In 1953 San
Andres was declared a free port.
The stamp was issued in 1956, and the map design
appears on several stamps of different values in the same set.