Bridgetown in the Barbados was founded in 1628, and was originally
called Indian Bridge. Around 1660 the name St. Michael's Town came to
be used, and Bridgetown became the name of the town in the 19th
The map displayed on the stamp is identified as that of
John Gibson published in the Gentleman's Magazine, London,
1766. The map locates the following landmarks: The Church, the Old
Church Yard, James Fort and Willoughby Fort, as well as The Bridge
which crosses The Swamp.
The stamp was issued to mark the 350th anniversary of
the founding of Bridgetown.